As the temperature has been dropping over the last few weeks, I thought a bit of scientific fun with Ice, would be great for reception.
A useful activity for practising square lashing. For more on square lashing, see this post.
1. Make a small frame by square lashing 4 sticks together, each about 25-30cm long to make a rectangular or square frame.
2. Cut notches along the top and bottom of frame to hold string in place.
3. Thread frame with string.
4. Weave natural materials – grasses, thin flexible twigs, chinks of twisted sheep’s wool through the string. Once it has some substance tie in other natural materials – seeds, cones etc.
5. You can also use it to make natural picture frames in step 1. Each child can then create their own miniature landscape painting by framing mosses on the ground, textured bark, a view of the sky through branches etc.